Friday, March 14, 2014

Q1 - Pantone quilt challenge


The wait is over and here is my Pantone quilt challenge project - minis category. It is also part of my Q1 FAL list which you can check here.

Finish Along 2014


It all started with few strips. I seen a bag with flap made out by meshwork technique. I just couldn't resist and I had to try it out. I love tumbling blocks for some reason.


My trial looked good so I had to figure out what to do with it next. How about a bigger tumbling block?!


So I made a cardboard template and stitched the cube together using EPP technique. The top part is much thicker than the sides but it adds texture and a bit of 3D effect.


At first I wanted to do sashiko tumbling block background but once I pulled the white dots out I quickly changed my mind. It adds even more interest at least for my eyes :-)


So I turned the whole thing into mini for my sewing corner as I just want to keep looking at that thing. The size is based on my board which is already there. Those two stripes on the binding are pieced in different direction on purpose. Little details are what I like.


I didn't want the quilting to be visible on front. There are straight lines within the white dots and you can see it better on back side. The fabric I used for back is print. When I talk with my friends about the things I like they told me couple of time "it's Vasarely". I couldn't even remember the name at first but I looked that up and yes you should really check his work out! So the undertone of my piece is Vasarely :-)
It measures 14x16".
2014 Pantone Quilt Challenge

Also linking up with:

34 comments:

  1. It's amazing! Very effective use of colour. I love the strong purple on the black and white background. Is the top of the block the woven section from the third photo? It's a bit hard to see if it's 3D from the photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy. Yes the woven (meshwork) piece is the one on top :-)

      Delete
  2. this is awesome Vera. I love the 3D effect :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Vera, This is really cool!! Now you can make me one. ;)
    Janeen
    janeenvn@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What Lorna said! LOVE this :) Good luck on the challenge! I don't think you will need luck though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing! It looks really 3D. Good luck in the challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vera, I have two words for your quilt: absolutely brilliant! You never stop amazing me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh I love the woven blocks on the big block! How cool, what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The weaving looks so cool! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great quilt!! Love the weaving... I should try it some time because I love the look of tumbling blocks but I don't like the way they are usually pieced together!! :) Thanks for sharing your great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely incredible Vera! Love it so much on the white dots, such a striking effect!
    And i love how you added the bits of purple into the binding. Gorgeous finish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is an extraordinary 3-D effect! Where did you get the fabric for the back. I like that a lot, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG it's fabulous - NAILED IT is absolutely spot on - WOW!! The whole design and all of the elements together are just beautiful, but that weaving is the star! If that challenge is giving away prizes, you better win one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow it's fabulous Vera! Love the woven strips, just amazing. Good luck with the competition!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks great, Vera, innovative use of materials by making the mesh bit. And I love the accent colour in the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! LOVE that weaving technique, Vera. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't believe the top of the cube is mesh-work. It looks amazing!!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning - and very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your quilt and thank you for the link to the artist's website too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it, and you're right - it makes you want to keep on looking at it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a cool concept for a quilt, that woven panel is the best thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Incredible technique. It's a stunning effect. You certainly have an eye and skill for intricate design. You're teaching me so much, just by sharing. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful,the woven design! You did nail it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous19/3/14 03:43

    Ah-MAH-zing

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's pretty cool! Very neat technique with the woven strips. The background is like an optical illusion all on it's own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is amazing! I am so impressed with the overall effect and, specifically, the weaving technique. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a fun, interesting piece!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I thought I commented on this already, but I guess not! That woven technique is SO awesome, Vera! I love that you effectively made your own fabric for the top side of your cube. Great choice using those dots for the background as well. This is a stunner!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a fascinating technique! Such a lovely finished project too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous10/5/16 17:36

    Hi Vera, loved your tumbling blocks! They are really fascinating!!! I started mine so the straight strips are done, the first diagonals (1 up 2 under) are done but I'm having trouble with the second diagonal. It is just not working. Could you help me by teaching me how to do it, please? Thank you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the spice of blogging. I love them all. Thanks for stopping by.