Saturday, November 2, 2013

And Sew On - Show and Tell


Welcome to my Show and Tell edition. I haven't made all 9 blocks featured during this BoM and let's face it if I haven't done it till now I probably won't do it any time soon. I have the scissor block printed and prepared but that's about it.


My first paper pieced block ever. I didn't know anything about paper piecing when I started. I didn't cut the seam allowances so it ended pretty messy on the back side. I wasn't happy about my fabric choice either and I got totally different idea later on. I knew from the very beginning that I won't have space for wall hanging consisting of all nine block so I decided I'll cover up my bookshelf which I use for storing fabrics and other stuff. I wanted to work with rainbow colors and create the blocks monochromatic. As you can see I got the orange and pink. I worked with some selvages in those blocks so I added some to create this shelf cover. I also had to add a bit of red to have the colors in right order. Yeah, I'm a bit color order obsessed.


Even though I don't like the other side too much I wanted to try out double sided cover. I had some eyelets on hand which I never used so I tested them as well. According to the handy man in the house I put them the other way round but that's fine with me. It works!


Here's the "before" photo. Not too bad and not too messy as I don't reach up there without a chair so I wasn't able to pile up things. I won't show you the rest of this bookshelf. Maybe one day if I cover it up or finally clean up. We'll see.



Paper piecing technique might not be my favorite one but I'm glad I gave it go. I'm pretty happy about the outcome plus I definitely learned something new. Thank you Kristy for sharing your passion with us!



I'm a bit late but I'm linking up to TGIFF and Crazy mom quilts as well. Plus

17 comments:

  1. What a clever use for a mini quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of your little quilts are sweet, Vera! Glad to see you gave the paper piecing a try. It is not something I would want to do exclusively, but it is always fun to try something new. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vera, these blocks are beautiful, the colours you used to so well together! And the added selvage is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a wonderful job! I love all the little stitchy details, like the steam from the cup of tea! And what a great idea to use it to cover your bookcase!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you hung that panel - what a great idea (and a great panel too)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how you put it together - great plan to use it for a cover on your bookshelf!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is excellent - it looks to me like you are a paper-piecing natural.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job on your first paper piece. Love the modern look and the combination of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's great, you would never know you were a new paper piecer. I love the addition of the selvedge blocks, great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loooove this! Especially how you used the selvages!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, I love this, Vera! What a great way to showcase your mini by using it to cover storage. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its great to try a new technique even if you don't think you'll do it too often. I like your idea for covering up shelves with a quilt, might have to use that idea one day when I get my sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool!! I like it. The colors are so sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your runner. Using white as the background really makes the designs stand out. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that's really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful way to cover your storage shelves! Your blocks are so pretty, with your special eye for color and order, and a bit of surprise! Love them!!

    susie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome...love your use of selvages and it just turned out fantastic!!!
    What a great idea on how to use it to. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the spice of blogging. I love them all. Thanks for stopping by.